e.l.f. Cosmetics Mineral Infused Face Primer in Clear Review

e.l.f. Cosmetics Mineral Infused Face Primer in Clear

I'm always looking for a really good drugstore/affordable primer for oily skin and I've heard and seen really good reviews of this e.l.f. mineral infused face primer so I decided to try it out. Retail price for this primer is AUD$16 and USD$6 for 14ml. But I bought this from Kmart in Australia, it was $13 and also I can get it cheaper if I order from iherb.com which is $7.74. Also, I saw they have a larger one, it contains 30ml for $10 from elfcosmetic.com but I don't think I can get it from Australia yet.

This primer is a silicone based primer and it has a silicone-y smell. The smell goes away after applying but I personally don't like this smell also it is very slippery formula. After I applied this primer, I instantly can see my face texture is smoother than before I applied this primer on my face. 

Let's compare what e.l.f. claims for this primer to my experience.

  • Preps your skin and fill in fine lines ➖ 🙆🏻
  • Makeup goes on evenly for a long-lasting ➖ 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Matte finish ➖ 🙅🏻
I've been using this primer about 3 months during winter to spring/summer so I can give my thoughts on this primer thoroughly. Let's start with the first one which is it preps your skin and fill in fine lines. It did fill in fine lines but I do have big pores so I cannot see much difference between before and after applying this primer. But it makes my skin more smoothly for sure so I said yes for this.
Move on to the second one, I cannot tell much difference makeup last longer after applying this primer. I really cannot tell so that is why I said that I don't know about this. I will tell you why. During winter, it did last longer but during spring/summer, I cannot tell lasting power is working or not. I live in Brisbane, Australia which is very humid and hot during spring and summer seasons. I do have very oily face and my skin hates this humidity so most of my foundations can't survive any longer than 2-3 hour wearing on my face.
The last one about the matte finish... it is definitely not a matte finish primer whatsoever. I don't know how it appears on different types of skin but for oily face, this is not a matte finish primer.

Wear Test

My left side (right side on photo) - Primer  |  right side (left side on photo) - No primer

This is before and after applying e.l.f. mineral infused face primer (right side with a flashlight & left side with natural lights) - Finished makeup at 1:00pm
I used NYX Cosmetics Total Control Drop Foundation and set my face with NYX #nofilter Setting Powder.

Last check up at 8:00pm (right side with a flashlight & left side with a normal room light)

I wore this makeup for 7 hours and I think it is long enough to test primer. I couldn't tell much difference with and without primer. It just makes my skin texture a little bit smoother but I still can see my pores from both sides. I don't mind about filling pores because this primer does not claim for pore filling effect. I can only say when I have drier skin during winter time, my makeup lasts longer but that is it. As you can see from my last checkup photo, my face is very oily and there is no difference between right and left sides of my face. And in between 1pm and 8pm, my face is getting oiler and oiler like I wore foundation without primer. I didn't see any matte finishing and the lasting power with applying this primer on my face, basically, this primer didn't do anything for oil control.

Final Thoughts on e.l.f. Mineral Infused Face Primer

I don't think this primer works on my skin. I can only tell a little bit of difference when I really look into the mirror up close but other than that I cannot tell much difference before and after wearing this primer. I generally do not like silicone based primer because it is too slippery and I don't like the smell at all. So I should get going to find other drugstore/affordable face primer.

Comments